Motivation Profiles and Promotion
Four people are each striving toward the same end, but are motivated by different means. Ella, Marcelo, and Masoko all want to obtain a promotion at their place of employment. Assume the following:
Ella’s motivation can be accounted for by a biological theory of motivation.
Marcelo’s motivation can be accounted for by a psychosocial theory of motivation.
Masoko’s motivation can be accounted for by an interactionist theory of motivation.
* Speculate on the source of motivation for each person based on the assumptions above.
* What are the main differences between Ella, Marcelo, and Masoko’s sources of motivation?
* How has emotion served as motivators for each individual? Describe the relationship between emotion and motivation in the context of these vignettes, selecting the emotion theory for each scenario that you think relates the most to each case.
* Explain the differences between the types of effort Ella, Marcelo, and Masoko would put forth based on their source of motivation.
* Hypothesize another individual named Sam. Sam has a realistic combination of motivating theories, which give rise to various factors inspiring him to pursue a promotion.
* Describe Sam’s sources of motivation.
* Describe the type of effort Sam may put forth based on his sources of motivation.
* Explain how the factors of each motivation theory might interact with each other.