Organic Chemistry: Acids and Bases and Bases
1. Define and describe the properties of Bronsed conjugate acid base pairs and how they relate to the pH scale?
2. Calculate the pH or pOH values for a given ion concentration.
3. Differentiate between strong and weak acids and bases and calculate the ion concentrations for weak acids and bases given an equilibrium constant and balanced equation.
4. Recognize the ionization of diprotic and polyprotic acids and its dependence on multiple Ka values.
5. Define Lewis acids and bases and indicate the basic formulas associated with hydrohaulic, oxoacids, and carboxylic acids.
6. Why do you think there are multiple acid base types (Lewis, Bronsted, Arrhenius)? Are there particular contexts where one description might be more relevant than another? Explain your answer.