1. Describe and explain the implications of the information age and globalization for organizational communication.
2. Describe the eight elements of the communication process. Select one element that was a particularly important problem in one of your recent communication transactions. Describe the role that the problem played during the communication.
3. Define and share examples of diversity, culture, and language culture.
4. Describe and explain the advantages and disadvantages of learning about a specific culture, if you plan to live abroad for a year.
5. Explain how hearing and listening differ. Share an example that illustrates the difference.
6. Describe the factors that affect your listening perception and priorities. Explain the implications of these factors for organizational communication.
7. Identify the nonverbal status indicators that you believe are most prevalent in business communication. Nonverbal status indicators are listed in Table 5.1, page 120 of the Strategic Communication in Business and the Professions text. Explain how cultural differences might result in misinterpretation of these cues.
8. Explain what managers and employees can do to learn from communication failure. Describe the four-step process of continual learning and explain its role in the development of organizational knowledge.
9. Explain what is meant by managing diversity. Describe based on your experience, the ways this concept has been translated into practice.
10. Describe ways to improve relations with difficult coworkers. Explain the factors (personal and organizational) that may impede improvement, and why.