Solutions to Equations and Word Problems
Please show work. Thanks!
2. Solve the equation x- .05x = 190
3. Solve the equation 5x -9 = x-4
4. Solve the equation system x + y = 5, x – y = 1
5. Graph the equation system and find the solution: x = 3y -4, and 3x -y = 12
6. 9(1/2) divided by 3(1/6)
7. Solve: 1/3 – x/5 = 1/2 – x/10
8. Graph 1/3 x – ½ y = 3 What is the x intercept?
9. Moe and Larry together earned $84,326 last year. If Moe earned $12,486
more than Larry, how much did each earn?
10. Bonnie and Clyde plan to rob a particular bank lying between St. Louis and Chicago. The bank is located in a town 110 miles northeast of St. Louis, and 165 miles south of Chicago. Bonnie is driving from St. Louis, and Clyde is driving from Chicago. It is important that they arrive at the bank at the same time.
Assume they each stick to the legal speed limit of 55 mph. If Clyde leaves Chicago at 9:00 AM, at what time should Bonnie leave St. Louis? (Chicago and St. Louis are in the same time zone)
11. Find the slope of the line that goes through (2, 5) (6, 10)
12. Graph the line through (-1, 4) with the slope of – 2/3. What is the x intercept?
13.What is the width of a rectangle with a perimeter of 300 feet and a length of x feet?
14. Write the equation in the slope-intercept form: 2x + 3y = 90
15. Solve by graphing: y=x-3, y = -x +1
16. Solve by any method: y = x +4, 3y -5y = 6
17. Solve by any method: y = 2x, 15x – 10y = -2
18. There were 1000 more students at a game than non-students. Student tickets sold at $8.50 a piece and non-student tickets sold for $13.25 a piece.
The total revenue was $75,925. How many tickets of each type were sold?
19. Solve by any method: 3x + 5y = -11, x -2y = 11
20. Graph the inequality: y < 2x+2. Does the area that satisfies the inequality include the origin?
21. Solve the inequality: y < -2x +1 What is the slope of the equation? Which region satisfies the inequality?
22. 2x -y + 3 > 0 What is the y intercept of the line? Which region satisfies the inequality?
23. What is the equation of a line through (9, 0) with a slope of ½ ?
24. Indicate on the number line x < 5, x > 4.
25. Solve for y: y + 6 = (1/2)(x+8)
26. Graph the inequality: x+8y > 8 and x -2y < 10. Where do the lines intersect? Which region satisfies the inequality? (N., E., S., or W. of the intersection)
27. Mickey and Minnie each drive the same distance. By driving 20 mph faster, Mickey gets there in 3 hours, while it takes Minnie 5 hours. How fast does each drive?
28. Ship is steaming at 10 knots and picks up ship B on radar 8 miles ahead on the same course. One hour later, ship B is 6 miles ahead. From that point,how long will it take ship A to overtake ship B? What isd the speed of ship B? ( one knot is one mile per hour).
29. Solve A = ½ bh for b.
30. If the area of a right triangle is 10 sq. ft., and one leg is 4 ft, what is the length of the other leg?